One of the features praised in iOS would be the virtual keyboard that the operating system uses. It is a good and simple keyboard that gets the job done. However, we imagine that there might be some users who might prefer using a more robust and feature-rich keyboard with their iOS devices.
If you’re looking on how to go about installing and using a third-party keyboard on iOS, then check out our guide below which will show you the steps to download and install and switch between various keyboards on your iPhone.
There are too many keyboards available for iOS today to list, so we’ll just mention a couple of the more popular ones. The steps involved to download and install them are all the same anyway, so it boils down to a matter of personal preference.
- Gboard – This is Google’s keyboard app for iOS where users can perform quick searches inside of it, saving them time in the process. It also features swipe-style typing if that’s what you prefer.
- SwiftKey – This Microsoft-owned keyboard has been a staple as far as third-party keyboard apps are concerned. It has been around for a very, very long time and was initially only available on Android. It supports bilingual typing which will allow users to type out sentences in multiple languages easily.
- Grammarly – If you’re looking to type out a document or email and want to ensure it is grammatically correct, Grammarly’s keyboard for iOS will do just that where it will offer up suggestions as you type.
- Fleksy – Similar to SwiftKey, Fleksy has been one of the mainstays in third-party keyboard apps. It features a very clean user interface so if you’re looking for a clutter-free typing experience, it might be worth checking out.
Downloading A Third-Party Keyboard For iPhone
- Launch the App Store and look for the keyboard app that you want to download
- Since keyboard apps are essentially apps, just follow the same process as you would a regular app
- Once the app has been downloaded and installed on your iPhone, you’re ready to move onto the next step.
Installing A Third-Party Keyboard For iPhone
- Launch Settings
- Go to General > Keyboard > Keyboards
- Tap Add New Keyboard…
- Scroll down until you see the section marked “Third-Party Keyboards”
- Tap on the keyboard you want to add
- You will now be taken back to the previous menu which will list the keyboards installed on your phone
- Tap the keyboard you just added
- Tap Allow Full Access which will bring up the prompt
- Tap Allow
- Repeat this process for future or additional keyboards that you install and want to use
- Alternatively, you can swipe to the left on the keyboard to remove it if you don’t want to use it anymore
Using A Third-Party Keyboard For iPhone
Once your keyboard has been successfully downloaded and installed and you’ve granted it full access, here’s how you can use it with your iPhone. You can actually have multiple keyboards installed at once and switch between them depending on your preferences.
- Launch any app that will bring up the keyboard interface
- Tap and hold the Globe icon located at the bottom right corner of the screen
- This will bring up the list of keyboards you’ve added to iOS
- Tap on the keyboard that you want to use and you should be all set